Transport Geoinformation Systems
Department of Intelligent Transportation Systems
Study level: MSc
Course code: 94614
Available in 2020/21: Yes
Objective of the course
- Providing knowledge and information necessary for understanding the structure and operation of the geographic information systems (GIS), the way of collecting, presentation, processing and publishing of geospatial data, and the possibilities for application of the geographic information systems.
- Adopting the approach, methods and procedures for collecting and using of geospatial data and the efficient and effective application of the geographic information systems in the field of the traffic and transport technology.
After the completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Define the basic terms connected with the geographic information systems (GIS), geospatial data, coordinate systems and map projections, vector and raster data models,and geometrical and attribute databases. Describe the processes and procedures for collecting, analysing and publishing of geospatial data, preparing a simple geographic information system and reaching the solution of a geospatial problem.
- Classify and give examples of attribute data and their types. Edit attribute data and be able to join and connect attribute data by application of the GIS tools. Be able to create SQL queries to the attribute database.
- Apply the global navigation satellite system (GNSS) for collecting and entering geospatial data, the geographic information system for presentation and analysis of the collected and derived data, and preparing of maps.
- Perform georeferencing and geotagging of data, geocoding of maps and transformations between map projections and coordinate systems, measurements of the distance and surfaces by application of the GIS tools. Devise and solve tasks connected with geocoding of addresses, the dynamic segmentation and analysis of the route with the presentation of the results.
- Explain the application and basic algorithms for analysis of the route on the transport network. Develop the transport network by application of the GIS tools, and calculate the shortest route on the transport network.
- Make conclusions based on the calculation and select the most favourable problem solutions by using the GIS tools.